Sphere is a cross-platform, open-source computer program designed primarily to make and play role-playing games (RPGs) similar to those found on the SNES and Sega Genesis consoles.
Though Sphere was originally designed to make RPGs, because of the flexibility of embedding a scripting language it can be used to make almost any other type of game. Platforming adventure games, auto-scrolling shoot-em-ups, and even ports of popular mobile games are among many non-RPG games that have been written for the Sphere engine.
Certain experimental versions of Sphere also support basic 3D graphics functions using the OpenGL video driver. However, it is more complicated to use than the 2D graphics functions and was never officially folded back into Sphere.
updated screenshots to come
- Official downloads repository
- You may find all official Sphere downloads here, including Windows binaries for the engines and editors and officially recommended supporting scripts and libraries!
- https://github.com/sphere-group - Sphere development on GitHub
- https://github.com/fatcerberus/minisphere - MiniSphere development on GitHub
- http://sphere.sourceforge.net/ - The original official Sphere website (needs maintenance)